Consultez aussi :

Les maisons
Rue Taison


Les commerçants
Rue Taison

Rue Taison

précédente       1     2       suivante

Taison Street History

Icare concept - cliquez sur la photo pour la réduire
From en Fournirue to the Place Sainte-Croix
Section of the cardo, Roman road from Lyon to Trèves

Via stationis
1162: Estasum
1227: Staison
13th century: Staixon, Staxon
14th-16th century: en Taison
1793: rue de la Montagne
1875-1918: Stationstrasse
1940-1944: Merovingerstrasse (Merovingian kings street)

The origins of the rue Taison go back to the depths of time. The Roman road of Augusta Trevirorum (Trèves), the metropolis of Gallic Emperors, in Scarpona (Dieulouard), noticeably followed its current street line.
According to Roger Clément, the word Taison is really derived from the French word “station”, but from “station liturgique” (liturgical station). Indeed, processions during which the faithful used to carry station crosses (“croix stationnales” in French) used to stop at the church Sainte-Croix (meaning holy cross), one of the stations of these processions.
It is named Staixon or Staxon in old documents. The Roman road from Trèves ran through it and led to the postal station where imperial post was handed over; it was “la Statio” from which are derived the names Staixon, Staxon and finally Taison.

According to NI. Ch. Abel, this postal building stood at the corner of the rue de Ladoucette and of the Place Saint-Jacques, whose ruins were excavated in I832 and 1838. A part of the planting had the shape of a fortified tower.
The hostel “A l'Ange”, renowned in the 15th and 16th centuries, was located in Taison. The city administration frequently hosted there important individuals who came for a visit.
The rue Taison got widen in 1733.
It was called rue de la Montagne in 1793, in memory of the group of Conventionals who carried this name.

précédente         suivante